Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Unique February 20, 2008

As I entered Jersey City on that day, there was traffic on the Pulaski Skyway, I stopped at Dunkin’ Donuts and listened to the radio. Little did I know it was not going to be an average day at St. Peter’s College? There was lockdown a little before 11 o’clock in the college. This stirs various mixed emotions in you, some pleasant and others not. Suddenly, you realize you live in a world where some people aren’t good. Their actions affect hundreds of innocent people; you feel violated. You question what your life will be like in 1 minute, 5 minutes and so forth. The students and staff were there for one another. The safety policy in place at St. Peter’s made sure the students and staff were safe and security and Jersey City Police went about securing our campus. This horrible experience will last with me for a long time but the kindnesses of the students and staff reaffirm that there is still kindness in our world.

3 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Joe,

I am glad you decided to write about this experience.

I was not on-campus that day, but I felt the impact. I was concerned about all of you as well as the colleagues with whom I work closely.

Just remember that feeling emotions such as fear or relief or sadness are normal. And also remember to reach out to someone if you need to talk.

Chloe said...

The school did do a good job. Unfornately, I was there, and it was scary. Too many thoughts go through your head. But it's good that you are safe, and you were able to be outside instead of coped up in a classroom.

catarina said...

I was locked in my apartment for what seemed like forever! I have to admit I was a little scared, mostly because I knew my family would panic if they heard anything on the news.Luckily we are all fine! It is good to know there are people that care!